Tuesday 16 June 2009

General Vezhax

See what I did there? Yeah, I'm cool.

There are about a million words I would use to describe this fight and none of them are what you might call positive. It may have something to do with the fact that Protection Paladins are basically given the finger in this entire encounter.

And, if I'm perfectly honest, I was expecting this to happen sooner. I've heard that pretty much every other tank class would be better suited than Paladins for almost every boss encounter, and was expecting to come across such a situation before the second to last boss of the raid. Yet I have succeeded on all of the bosses thus far, and will likely succeed again.

Being the only tank class that uses mana we're the only ones that are affected by the lack of mana regeneration. I don't gain enough back from Spiritual Attunement (my spec only has a single point in the talent) to cover continual full rotations, so I'm left with gaps where I have wasted GCDs. Add to that the lack of Paladin cooldowns making the encounter exponentially harder due to the absolute necessity for kiting (which, if you fuck it up, means a wipe).

I'm considering switching my Retribution offspec to a second Protection spec just to pick up 5 points in Divinity for the additional healing and the extra point in Spiritual Attunement for additional mana regeneration. Just for one boss. Fuck you Blizzard.

But I'm a pro. I work around my classes inherent disadvantages for the encounter as best I can. The major problem right now is the lack of mana efficient healing - we simply haven't been able to find a way to keep our healers from going out of mana well before the end of the fight. Not that that's anybody's fault, but it's something we're going to have to think about and work on if/when we reach the General this week.

6 comments:

  1. "...due to the absolute necessity for kiting..."

    We don't kite him.

    "...we simply haven't been able to find a way to keep our healers from going out of mana well before the end of the fight."

    They're not doing any raid heals, are they? Because no one in the raid but tanks should be taking damage, I guess unless there's no one to interrupt the big spinny rune thingy he gets around him which then blows up and owns everybody.

    Also, this fight was created for frost mages, I swear. I don't run out of mana. Or, if I do, it's on the last <5%. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. stfu frost mage!

    I sit there with a thumb up my ass until we blow heroism/bloodlust and then I burn through my mana before I can safely dislodge the thumb.

    She's right that we don't kite him when we have a Paladin tank it, but that's because we alternate cooldowns between prot paladin, holy paladin, priest and allow him to live that way. When we did it with a Shaman and Priest healer, we -did- have to move him and wiped a lot.

    As for the mana, he never complains, since one of your abilities still works to restore mana, I just don't know what your abilities are called...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spiritual Attunement still returns mana from heals, but with only one point in it it's not returning enough from the healing I'm getting to support using Consecration on every cooldown. It's not really an issue since my threat output is still high enough without it, just slightly annoying having one other thing to watch for during the fight.

    I'm not really sure what the healers were doing - there wasn't any noticeable raid damage that I saw, so I think they just weren't using the saronite vapors properly for mana regen.

    Hopefully for our next tries we'll have a better range of healing classes/specs and can eliminate the kiting. If we're forced to kite him again, I have a couple of ideas that I'll try and see if they make the fight any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's your dps raid comp for Vezax? How many melee and ranged?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our DPS tends to vary a lot from raid to raid. Last week we had the same 4 melee (Rogue, two DKs, Warrior) and 2 ranged (Hunter and Mage) group that we downed Mimiron with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... You're aware of the 4 people outside 30 yard range bit for this fight, right? And how at that point he will only crash/afflict those 4 people? Or rather, how as long as there are at least 4 people past 30 yards, he will only afflict people outside that range... so if you have a 5th person go out of melee range and into 30+ yards, they could get afflicted, but only once they cross that 30 yrd threshhold?

    We stack our healers and melee on the tank, and keep 4 ranged dps on the outside. Whether we kite or cycle through cooldowns, we make sure the 4 ranged stay at range to eat the crashes.

    If you don't have 4 ranged, some of the healers can replace them, you just have to be much more careful about giving them the right clouds to use.

    ReplyDelete