Friday 5 June 2009

Dual Specialization for the Protection Paladin

With the introduction of dual specialization, I've been giving a lot of thought to which is the best secondary spec for me. I initially collected a set of Retribution gear from heroics, with a few emblem of heroism and crafted pieces thrown in. When dual specialization went in, I spent my 1000 gold and opted for Protection and Retribution.

I have also (rather slowly) been collecting a set of Holy gear. I've even passed on a few items of Retribution gear stating that I'm planning on switching my offspec to Holy at some later date. Then I thought that, actually, having Holy as my offspec is going to be less useful than Retribution.

The main advantage of Retribution as a secondary spec is being able to switch to a DPS role for fights that only require a single tank, such as Loatheb and Sapphiron in Naxxramas or Hodir in Ulduar. Obviously this guarantees wipes if the main (and only) tank for that fight dies, but that's the price for the additional person DPSing in the raid. And, to date, fights such as this are the only time that I've really used Retribution.

Holy would be considerably more useful if I weren't going to be reliably called on to tank for guild raids. If this were the case, being able to fill a healer spot in a raid would be beneficial. But since I'm almost always going to be tanking, and bosses that only require a single tank don't tend to require extra healers, I have a feeling Holy as an offspec would go entirely unused.

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading up on this stuff. A Holy Priest sounds pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, unless you enjoyed healing, I wouldn't even make it an official second spec. The less people see you as a potential healer, the more you'll always be THE tank. Even if DPS from time to time, you're still the guy that hits the boss at close range.

    ReplyDelete