Saturday 30 May 2009

Oh Thorim, how I love/hate you

When I first started tanking, I knew that I was going to have to take on more responsibility than other members of the group. After all, the main reason I started tanking was because I didn't want to trust other people to do it competently. I knew that this decision would result in the majority of boss fights being stressful for me even if they're relatively relaxed for others, and I accepted that.

Anybody who has raided enough in Ulduar to have experienced the Thorim fight knows that it's relatively hectic. Particularly if you're left in the arena - which, as a Paladin tank, I am - to deal with wave after wave of adds coming down. It's tense and exciting and can be incredibly draining.

The key to success is learning to keep track of everything; something I assume most tanks did a long time ago. What you have available to pick up adds at range at any given time, what adds to expect next, what adds you currently have to deal with, who else in your group has aggro. It's certainly not easy, but there are things to make it easier.

A couple of tips:
1. /console cameradistancemaxfactor 4 should allow you to see the whole of the arena and pick out the important adds immediately when you zoom right out.
2. Save your ranged cooldowns. Exorcism and Avenger's Shield are useful for additional DPS when you're tanking at melee range, but you never know when you'll need one or the other for picking up an add because you have nothing else off cooldown.
3. Have your group stack on top of you in the centre of the arena, and keep consecration up at all times. This should be sufficient to keep threat on the smaller, inconsequential adds.

No comments:

Post a Comment